Posted on August 31, 2015
After watching the MTV Music Awards lastnight, a few things became clear. 1) Miley Cyrus is a little bit crazy, 2) Nicki Minaj rocked it out,3) a lot has changed since the 90′s and 4) it is a good time to update the playlist. With corporate bootcamps, outdoor training, and home workouts on the books I needed some new music to blast around town. Here is my pic for a fall playlist to motivate you off your rear, out of the house, and to amp up your intensity.
Roots – Imagine Dragons
Black Magic – Little Mix
Cheyenne – Jason Derulo
Wildest Dreams – Taylor Swift
Dreams – Beck
Love Myself – Hallie Steinfeld
Can’t Feel My Face – The Weeknd
Downtown – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Renegades – X Ambassadors
Trini Dem Girls – Nicki Minaj
Back It Up – Prince RoyceLeave a Comment
Posted on August 30, 2015
I love shopping seasonal favorites at my local market. This week I picked up a carton of figs. I can’t seem to get enough of them. I’ve been eating them with everything. Yogurt, smoothies, oatmeal, salads, and even cheese for a semi indulgent treat.Leave a Comment
Posted on August 27, 2015
This week in Virginia Beach, there are signs of fall. Days are shorter, cooler temps float in the air, and new flavors such as pumpkin everything are starting to fill the stores. Another sign of seasons changing are the Back to School Sales. All the fitness and fashion magazines are putting together lists of upcoming fall favorites. After some product testing over the past week, I have complied a list of my fall favorites. Check the list below for my must have items as the seasons change.
WHAT IS IT The AMP MD Micro-Exfoliating Roller and Night Repair Serum from Rodan + Fields. I have been a fan of the Rodan + Fields line since last fall. It was then that I began using the Unblemish face wash. I recently had the opportunity to review another one of Rodan + Fields popular items.
WHY I LIKE IT The AMP MD Roller is becoming a regular in my nighttime skin routine. Hopefully you spent the summer with your face covered in sunscreen and under shade, but if not then I highly suggest you consult with a rep and get to ordering. I have been using the roller for about a 2 weeks and can already tell a difference. The roller essentially contains little needles that puncture the skin. After 60 seconds of rolling, you apply the night time serum. The process is painless. I have noticed some of my sun spots begin to disappear. Also my overall skin texture is better with less forehead wrinkles and crows feet. I have received compliments on the glowy, light condition of my skin. Contact my amazing and experienced rep here to order.
WHAT IS IT Beautycounter Tint Skin Foundation Take your sun kissed and redefined skin and let is shine.
WHY I LIKE IT You may have heard about the latest in the home cosmetics line from new player, Beautycounter. The line was started with the hopes of getting safe products into the hands of everyone. Other cosmetic lines contain toxins that are outlawed in most countries. Beautycounter has personally banned over 1,500 ingredients from their line. They bring you the convenience of E Commerce for a stress free shopping experience. Expert reps are skilled to help you with your purchase.
After a short conversation with my rep mentioning my need for easy, everyday products she suggested the Tint Skin Foundation. She matched me perfectly with the shade (linen). I only need about a pea size on most days for a minimal daytime look. For a more dramatic look, I layer the foundation with a brush for more coverage. The formula goes on smooth by finger application as with a foundation brush. With only 5 minutes to spend on my morning beauty routine, I apply it before sun up. The light creamy foundation lasts long into the afternoon. The foundation contains hyaluronic acid, which is a natural moisture magnet. This promotes smoother-looking skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Other Beautycounter items I am using include the Lip Sheer in Twig. This nude shade is the ideal barely there lip color for hitting the gym. The Hydrate Everyday Body Lotion is one of their best sellers and I absolutely see why. The citrus mimosa scent is devine and is a wonderful morning treat to help my skin wake up before the sun. Contact my amazing and knowledgeable Beautycounter rep here.
WHAT IS IT APPLES An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
WHY I LIKE IT Apples are listed among the world’s healthiest foods. Apples are known to regulate weight, remove toxins from the body, and are extremely available. With so many varieties filling the produce isle and farm stands, pick up a bag of this crisp fall treat. This may be the easiest and most affordable fall must have to start incorporating now.
WHAT IS IT Premier Protein ready to go bars and shakes.
WHY I LIKE IT Fast food has taken on a new meaning in my house. Like apples, I keep healthy snacks with me at all times. On most days I can be caught enjoying a shake post run or a bar in between workouts. With 30 grams of protein in most of the flavors, these bars and shakes are the perfect snack or compliment to any meal. The chocolate peanut butter bar is my favorite flavor. For a tasty protein packed breakfast, try mixing it up. Add 1/2 a frozen banana, 1 tsp of peanut butter, and 1 chocolate shake in a blender for a crave crushing treat. Order here or hit your local Costco to purchase the variety 30 bar pack. 44
WHAT IS IT Pixi by Petra Lipstick
WHY I LIKE IT This $12 tube available at Target is the perfect shade for end of summer, beginning of fall. Wear in two layers for more of a pop, this Peach Blossom is an easy transition from day to night.
WHAT IS IT e.l.f Blush Palete
WHY I LIKE IT For $3, yup $3 you get 4 blush colors in heavy pigment. Perfect for day, night, tan, or pale skin. I opted for the “light” option At this price point, you could afford to have one at home and 1 in your gym bag.
Posted on August 25, 2015
Fresh off the boardwalk here in Virginia Beach from a rainy summer morning run. During my half mile repeats, it occurred to me that in just under 2 weeks, I will be participating in the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. I use the term loosely, because participate is what I plan to do other than race it. Let me explain…
With a track record of unthinkable humidity, heat, and a lack luster course, I prefer to sit back and enjoy the 13.1 mile route of the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. This makes for a pretty good summer training run rather than full on effort. Who knows, maybe this year I will even take part in some on course unofficial hydration stations if you know what I mean Never the less, the run will still need to be treated like any other with proper attire and proper nutrition prep. Here are a few of my tips for how to tackle your upcoming 5k-half.
1. Go over your race plan, be realistic with your goals and come to peace with it. Is your current race pace a 10 minute mile? Is your goal to complete the race? Is your goal to run the entire thing but you have only trained up to 6 miles? Then breaking the 2:00 mark this round may not be safe or attainable. Race the event according to the effort you have put in. Take the pressure off yourself to make EVERY race your personal best. Enough on that.
2. This one is for the ladies. NO PEDICURES. This is not the time to exfoliate your feet for that beach perfect barefoot look. With 2 weeks out from a double digit run, you need that dead layer of skin for protection. Your feet are guaranteed to get beat up on a sweaty summer course. The fresher the skin, the more likely you are for blisters DURING and especially AFTER Race Day.
3. Nutrition. If you take no other tip from this post, listen to this!!! Start clearing out the veggies. 2 weeks out from the race day, get your fill of salads and raw foods. The last few days before the big race you don’t need any added roughage in your gut bouncing around. Belly issues give the #thestruggleisreal some truth.
4. Practice. Now I don’t mean train. The last 12-16 weeks have been spent training. I mean practice. Practice race day morning, practice running in your race day outfit. If you live close to the course, practice running the finish line. I like to drive the course and get in a couple miles on the last part of a course before the big day. This helps you visualize how and what you may be feeling as you end the route. Race day morning should be as routine and seamless as possible.
5. Relax. At this point you are either ready or you are not…hence tip #1. Come to terms with how things are gonna go down. Embrace it. Stop thinking about it. Watch an inspirational movie or create an Inspiration Board on Pinterest. Carb up on your favorite pre race meal and wake up in a happy place on race day.
I hope these tips have helped you and I can’t wait to hear about how you celebrated your next run!
Posted on August 17, 2015