Invest In Yourself: 5 Things I Recommend
I write a lot about feeling better and doing better. What that feels like and look like have changed for me over the years. What it means for me today is to feel and look the best for myself, whether anyone else sees me or not. Today it looks something like this:
1. Minimal make up. Daily demonstrator of the Beautycounter 5 minute face. I also wear my favorite perfume daily.
2. Clean, manicured nails. My favorite shade for spring is OPI Bubblebath.
3. Update your closet. What a difference well made wardrobe pieces make. They fit and flatter my body. I stocked up on many of the items from J Crew Factory spring line.
4. Workouts that build more confidence than muscle. Simple sequences made of body weight movements and long slow cardio sessions.
5. I find it important to spend time on weekly spa treatments, most of which I do at home including DIY manicures, and facials.
I have taken part in the spa ritual since college. When I was single I found the time to be calming. Now that I’m in a relationship, it makes me feel special, pretty, and a way of honoring not only myself, but my BF as well. He deserves to have the best of me, and even though we feel for each other in sweaty run clothes, it never hurts to kick it up a notch.
For reasons I can’t seem to understand, woman taking time for themselves can be looked at as selfish or controversial.
All I know is that when I feel my best and show that to others, I am more likely to tackle bigger goals with confidence and grace.
I was pleased to come across this verse in my Proverbs 31 Woman devotional today.
“Enlarge the place in your tent, and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; spare not; lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes, for you will spread abroad to the right hand and to the left.” ISAIAH 54:2-3
The daily prayer was as follows:
Lord, I believe that every aspect of my life is important to You, including how I care for myself. Help me to not think of myself too highly or too lowly. Help me to be balanced. Amen.
I researched more on this passage and came to find that the Proverbs 31 Woman might just be the OG when it comes to self care and self pride. I challenge you to take a little time for yourself this week. Invest in your sense of style, spirit, or sweat identity. I firmly believe that you will not only feel better, but you will probably inspire others around you in the process.